Saturday, November 1, 2008

$35.00

Saturday, November 1, 2008

$35.00.


That's right. During the entire month of October, we managed to spend a grand total of $35 on gas. $35!

How is that possible, you wonder, especially when driving 30 or 40 miles a day is commonplace in a metropolitan area like the Phoenix valley?

We did it with my legs, and probably somewhat (to a lesser degree) by not having much of a social life.

Since we moved to Gilbert, I broke out the relatively new Specialized mountain bike I purchased a couple years ago in Laramie. My destinations I needed to reach from Chandler were very far away, but when we got into our new place, the distance was diminished considerably.

So I started riding a few times a week. Then I started riding most of the week. I am now to the point where if I go to work for any reason, I ride the bicycle. And the more I ride, the more I enjoy it.

Riding a bike gives you an idea of just how ridiculous the amount of driving we do in this city really is. Over the past few weeks, I have gone from home to teaching, to the AZ Republic, where I work part-time, back home. The total distance is just over 17 miles. Multiply that by five days, and then tack on three additional trips to work at the newspaper, and this week alone, I rode nearly 119 miles. I haven't kept an exact record, but I am sure my total mileage since I began riding in August is very close, if not more than, a thousand miles.

I don't find it much of a hassle. I find I have more energy during the day when I ride my bike to school. I find I am in a better mood most of the time. Of course, by the time I get home, I can be pretty worn out, especially when I ride close to 30 miles in one day. But it it totally worth it.

I've lost nearly 15 pounds in the process, and am noticing my pants, which previously were starting to become uncomfortably snug, are now fitting just fine. The pants I bought when I had a little more room around the belt are now falling off. It's a rewarding experience, trust me.

Who ever decided driving a car was preferable to doing it the old fashioned way? Getting in shape, saving money on gas (by not driving, as well as being 15 pounds lighter when sitting in the car), and not polluting the environment (as much....he he he...), are all very rewarding pursuits.

We may not get away with spending so little in November, but either way, in October we spent....

$35.00.

No comments: